Students who wish to undertake independent study under the direction of a member of the faculty must complete an Independent Study Form. The form must be signed by both the faculty member and the department chair. The form must then be certified by the Registrar and accepted during the official registration period, check the semester Academic Calendar for due date.
Approval is subject to the academic prerequisites listed in the course description and the following stipulations:
- The student must have completed 60-degree credits and have a 2.50 grade point average.
- Students may take only one independent study course each semester, up to a total of four such courses for the duration of their undergraduate enrollment at the College.
- The instructor must be a full-time member of the faculty.
- The instructor cannot sponsor more than two independent study courses per semester.
- Independent study courses at the 400-level require the additional approval of the Dean for Undergraduate Studies.
Permission for exceptions to these regulations must be obtained from the department chair and the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management prior to the registration period. Permission for exceptions to these regulations must be obtained from the Dean for Undergraduate Studies prior to the registration period.